I'm starting with a bone broth. You can certainly make this a fully vegetarian soup, and if that's your decision the following will not pertain to your recipe - though you may find it interesting. Homemade stock is not a must - sometimes time and energy dictate canned - but there are nice bonuses to stock from scratch. Not only do you get an amazing depth of flavor (and make the house smell great), but there are nutrients rendered from the slow cooking of meat from the bone that can serve to strengthen and support your joints and ligaments.
If you are making your stock from scratch, start by browning 1-2 pounds of short ribs (enough to cover the bottom of a large pot in one layer) in olive oil, a little butter and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar if you have it on hand. I also add ground black pepper, sea salt, paprika, turmeric, fennel seed & allspice - but everything is to your own taste.
Keep turning the ribs until they are nice and browned on all sides, then deglaze the bottom of the pot with a little beer. I opted for a stout with a hint of orange in it. Once the bottom of the pot is deglazed I add the rest of the beer plus enough extra to fill the pot about half way. I then bring the level in the pot to at least 2/3 of the way up with water. To this I add a couple of peeled whole cloves of garlic, a few bay leaves, and one orange cut in half. Now you just have to cover and let this cook until the meat is braised and falling off the bone, checking and stirring it periodically. This will easily take a few hours, and the longer you can let it simmer the better...
No comments:
Post a Comment